My aunt brought me packets of Agar Agar from Singapore, so i decided to use some up! I googled a few fruit jelly recipes with agar agar as an ingredient so it’ll be vegetarian. I quite liked this youtube video where this guy mixed agar agar fruit with a cake layer.
I put the jelly in small moulds as it made nicer individual treats. Although next time I want to try it in a cake mould. A jelly cake with real cake!
B’s Jelly Agar Agar with Strawberries
Makes: 4 small moulds
- 2 tsp agar agar powder
- 3-4 tbsp sugar (you can just omit it if you want)
- Handful of cut strawberries
- Some leftover cake cut into cubes
- Arrange strawberries in the mould facing downwards.
- Boil half the water and add 1 tsp agar agar and 2 tbsp sugar. After the powder is dissolved, pour into the mould. Freeze for 10 mins.
- Remove from freezer and pierce the top jelly a bit with a fork. Add the cubes of cake on top of this layer.
- Repeat step 2 for another jelly layer. Add it. Freeze for 10 mins. Refrigerate till you want to eat it. Remove it from the mould and serve it inverted!
Easy and a great summer delight. This would make a healthy snack if you omit the sugar out completely.