Last night’s dinner was divine. Well, how can anything with cheese be less than divine? 😉
I felt guilty using everything that was basically ready-made so I made the red sauce. I like pasta extra saucy so I make sauce in abundance!
B’s Red Sauce Topped Over Spinach & Ricotta Tortellini (EASY)
Makes enough for 2 starving souls.
- 1 packaged of Spinach & Ricotta Tortellini (I have no skill or patience to make my own pasta! LOL)
- Some olive oil (around 2 tbsp)
- Handful of Cherry Tomatoes (the more the healthier) I use about 250g- cut in halves
- 1/2 onion
- 1 can of Italian Plum Tomatoes
- 1 can tomato puree or ready made red sauce (optional just to increase the amount of sauce)
- 2 tbsp of concentrated tomato puree
- some cheese (the more the merrier)
- Seasoning: fresh basil, dried herbs, salt, pepper, tabasco, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, sugar
- Put oil in pan and cut finely chopped onions. After onions are translucent and a little brown add tomatoes and cook. If its drying up add some water and keep cooking.
- Add the can of plum tomatoes and the concentrated tomato puree. Simmer for half an hour or longer.
- Cool and blend afterwards.
- Add all the seasoning and some water (see your preferred consistency. I don’t like my sauce to be too runny!) Add sugar according to sourness of the tomatoes. If you simmer it longer it will be less sour and less sugar will be required to combat it.
- Add cheese just before switching stove off so it will be stringy. Yummy! Add it to the prepared tortellini 😉
Note: I serve it with herb baguette and roasted asparagus to just make the meal a bit more complete! Bon appetite!
- Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni – Fathers Day Dinner (theeverydaycooknetwork.com)
- Tomato Ideas! (katerinasgift.com)
- 4 Ingredients = Cheese Tortellini with Spinach in Creamy Tomato Sauce (collectingluckypennies.wordpress.com)
- 3 Easy Ways to Eat Ricotta: for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (staialborgo.wordpress.com)
- Recipe: Spinach and Ricotta Pasta Shells (aesthetic-online.com)