Me again 🙂 Today I thought I’ll blog again – another healthy recipe to keep the vegetarians going! This oven pancake is eggless and puffs up in the oven – thus there’s no flipping required! Easy treat with minimal ingredients. Recently over my eggless home-made scones, a friend and I were having a conversation about eggless baking and she gave me a tip about substituting buttermilk for milk in the recipe and omitting eggs completely. I had to give it a go!
I lined a pyrex dish with baking paper. This allowed me to omit buttering the dish. You can slightly butter the paper though.
The final result (I love this photo- it’s been edited using Snapseed):
This is a great low-fat treat. There is NO SUGAR (except for the chocolate sprinkles on top which is minimal if you ask me). Also – the ice-cream is frozen banana which I blended. That’s it! Easy! B’s food is usually quite easy!
If you haven’t frozen banana before, here are the steps:
- Peel the banana that is slightly browning
- Cut it in small pieces
- Freeze in ziplock
- Can be frozen till 6 months (I’ve read online, but to be safer I’d say 3 months as I’m not a huge fan of freezing food to begin with)
B’s Eggless Oven Pancake Topped with Frozen Banana (ice-cream)
Bakes: One pancake for 2 people
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 tbsp vinegar (for the buttermilk)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Vanilla essence to taste
- A bit of butter to butter the tray (can omit this if using baking paper)
- Frozen Banana
- Chocolate Sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 210 C.
- Pour a bit less than 1/2 cup of milk in a measuring cup. Add 1/2 tbsp of vinegar to it and let it sit for 5 minutes. This becomes your buttermilk.
- Pout milk in a bowl and mix in the flour and salt with a whisk. Add vanilla essence.
- Don’t overmix as it will lose its fluffiness as a pancake. (Just FYI)
- Pour in a pyrex dish lined with baking paper.
- Bake for about 30 minutes till it’s golden.
- Blend the banana pieces with a tiny bit of milk.
- Top the pancake with the ice-cream and serve!
Enjoy a healthy dessert to beat the summer in London!