I’ve been reading about roasted chickpeas online as a healthy snack and have been meaning to try them forever. The final push was when I saw a post by Celeste and thought OK, I should give it a go! Her recipe was completely different than mine but i might try hers out too! I made mine a bit spicy and with indian infused flavours 🙂 It came out delish so much so that I forgot to take a picture of the final product. I will add it to this post when I re-make it. This just goes to say how yummy it was that I was completely thrown off-track.
Benefits of Chickpeas:
- High Fibre content
- Contains Iron
- Source of Protein
- Contains Manganese
- Low GI-index, controls sugar and keeps you full longer (good for weight loss too!)
These are few motivating factors for you to consumer chickpeas as a vegetarian!
Here’s what I did:
Lay them out on a baking sheet, making sure they don’t overlap… BAKE AWAY AND EAT!
B’s Crunchy Chickpea Bites
Makes: One big bowl
- 1 can chickpeas (drained, washed and dried)
- 1/2 tsp oil
- Flavourings: 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Wash the chickpeas and drain them. Dry thoroughly on paper towel.
- Mix chickpeas with flavourings and oil.
- Roast for 35 – 45 minutes, depending on how crunchy you want it. (I roasted mine for 40 mins)
Notes: Make sure the chickpeas are DRY. If not it would result in the bites being soggy rather than crunchy!!
Enjoy this fibre-rich low fat snack! It’s much better than munching on crisps and gives you similar satisfaction 🙂